The very thought of doing physical activities to lose weight intimidates us. We immediately picture ourselves huffing and puffing lifting heavy weights and getting totally drained out. And then the next thought that comes up in our minds is that after getting so exhausted will I still have the stamina to face another long day? So we keep putting it off for some other day and that day never comes. But take heart all you out there who have been doing this, thereby finding it difficult to keep yourselves in shape. Exercising need not be complicated. Treadmill workout for weight loss is one of the simplest of it’s kind . It is one of the easiest weight loss exercises.
A daily brisk walk for about an hour will do the trick and help you to combat obesity and get back into shape. Walking daily will bring you the following benefits:
- It will help you to keep in shape or rid you of your extra weight. As your metabolic rate increases you start burning the calories that your food provides which would otherwise have been stored in your body as fat.
- Prevents and manages various other ailments like high blood pressure, heart disease, type 2 diabetes. Once your weight stabilizes all the problems associated with obesity automatically gets sorted out.
- Walking daily strengthens your bones and muscles keeping all those joint pains and muscle cramps at bay.
- Improves balance and coordination. Adopting the right posture while walking helps in improving the coordination in your body.
- Enhances your mood. Walking or exercising boosts your energy levels and makes you feel happy which helps you to get by with a busy day.
The treadmill is an equipment that serves this purpose wonderfully. Treadmill workout for weight loss is walking on the treadmill and it is one of the most effective ways for weight management, burn calories and reduce risks of cardiovascular disease.
Get your personal treadmill installed at home so that you can carryout treadmill workout for weight loss whenever you want. You don’t need to step out of your house to shed those extra kilos. It is easy to use and walking on the treadmill is as good as walking outdoors. Treadmills come equipped with pre-set programs which help you to follow a controlled regime and LED displays that show time, speed, distance, calories burnt and the heart rate of the user. You also get foldable treadmills that can be stored anywhere in the house. Normally walking on a treadmill burns about 400 calories per hour, while running burns about 800 calories depending on your weight.
It’s important to remember to dress appropriately before you hop onto that treadmill. Wear a proper t-shirt and shorts/track pants. Make sure you wear a decent pair of running shoes with a good grip on the sole. Don’t run barefoot on the treadmill. Also, keep a hand towel handy to wipe off that sweat.
There are a few things that you need to keep in mind for treadmill workout for weight loss.
Plan your exercise:
- Set your goal: First of all, you need to decide whether you want to lose weight or simply want to improve your fitness level. If you want to lose weight then you should exercise three to five days a week for at least 30 minutes duration. If you want to improve your fitness level, concentrate on increasing the length and intensity of your exercise session.
- Warm Up: Always start at a slow pace for the first five to ten minutes to warm up. Warming up is very important as it will increase circulation to your muscles and help reduce the risk of injury, gradually increasing your heart rate. It also helps to prepare you mentally for the workout ahead.
- Right Posture: While exercising, look straight ahead and involve your core abdominal muscles. Shoulders should be loose, neck and arm relaxed. Your arms should swing easily backwards and forwards with elbows bent at angle of 90 degrees. Ensure your back is straight and your torso upright (don’t lean forward). You will burn 5 to 10 percent more calories per session if you pump your arms while walking than walking with your arms straight down by your sides. Push off with force and land lightly on your feet. If you hear the thumping sound of your feet it means you are not doing it right. Runners world have a great article about the perfect running method that explains how you should hold yourself from your head all the way down to your feet on the treadmill.
- HIIT: High Intensity Interval Training. This is a very popular way of putting the treadmill routine to optimum use to get the same results in a shorter period of time against running at a steady speed for a longer period of time. For example, you could walk at your normal pace for about 1 or 2 minutes then increase your speed to your fastest for about 30 seconds and then return to your former normal speed. It is up to you what time ratio you want to choose but do try this out to get the maximum benefit in a short span of time.
- Incline: Remember to use the incline function on your treadmill for a better workout. Set the incline, start walking and keep increasing the incline. Your legs will be working harder thereby increasing the intensity of your workout.
- Variety: Add variety, don’t stick to one routine. Hop off your treadmill for some push ups, squats with shoulder press or do some arm routine. Then again get back to your treadmill. Combining cardio with some strength training is the best way to lose fat.
If you can follow above mentioned plans for treadmill workout for weight loss you will certainly be a healthy and fit person. Extra efforts for staying fit and healthy is worth taking because of alarming increase of obesity around the world
Common Mistakes to avoid during treadmill workout for weight loss
Speed: One of the most common mistakes people make is that they start running at a great speed right from the beginning. But not warming up can lead to cramps and other problems. Begin at a slow pace, then gradually increase the speed.
Holding On: Do not hold the bars. Although initially you are advised to hold onto the bars, let go of them after a few days. Holding on prevents you from finding your natural running or walking posture and also burns lesser calories.
Long Strides: According to John Higgins, MD, associate professor of medicine at the University of Texas Health Science Centre, Houston stretching out your legs in an effort to cover more ground will lead to burning up lot of extra energy and you won’t be able to work out for long. You could also hit the front of the treadmill frame which will cause you to fall.
Finally, effectiveness of above mentioned treadmill workout for weight loss may be reinforced by use of proper healthy breakfast and diet including consumption of green coffee, apple cider vinegar, etc. Although we can lose weight easily without exercise by following our 9 tips in one of our previous posts, but a combination of both exercise and non exercise methods will give best results.
There’s a wide variety of treadmills and lot of options to choose from. They are pocket friendly and investing in one is an investment for a lifetime of good health. Checkout best home treadmills at discounted prices here.
But sometimes even rigorous exercise on treadmill do not produce desired results. This may be due skipping of breakfast.For more details about breakfast ideas click here.