Fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts are considered as best healthy breakfast foods. These elements not only help to lose weight but also ensure a whole host of health benefits.
Fruits for breakfast
Fruits are recognized as powerhouses of nutrients and are one of the best sources of vitamins and minerals, potassium, fiber, vitamin C, folate (folic acid). Folic acid in fruits helps the body to form red blood cells which is especially recommended for pregnant women.
Fruits Keep your weight in check
According to MayoClinic.org fruits have a naturally high water content and low energy density, they are full of fiber which is why they give that feeling of fullness.
⦁ Apples are complete, healthy food because they are rich in fiber and excellent for losing weight. They help in digestion and relieve constipation. Apples may be considered as one of the best healthy breakfast foods.
⦁ Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C and also recommended for losing weight.
⦁ Watermelons are rich in electrolytes and water content, very low in calories and fat. They are packed with potassium, vitamin A which is a powerful, natural anti oxide, lycopene, lutein and is known to aid weight loss.
⦁ Lychees contain only 66 calories per 100 grams, no saturated fats or cholesterol and help in weight loss.
Fruits Act as a Detox:
Fruits help to detoxify your body due to the antioxidants present in most of them.
- Anthocyanins found in blueberries, flavonoids and phenolic acids present in cranberries are different antioxidants that stop the free radicals from damaging the cells in the body. Hence it may be assumed that they play a role in preventing cancer.
- Apples again, are excellent aids to detox as they are rich in flavonoids. Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar is extremely good for the liver and helps to detox.
- Citrus fruits like (grape fruit, lime, lemons, oranges etc) all contains flavonoid antioxidants. Lychee contains Oligonol which helps to detox the body.
Fruits Boost your immune system and balances the pH in the body:
- Although fruits are considered acidic in nature, once they enter your body they turn alkaline thereby helping balance your pH levels. This unique characteristic of fruit has placed it among best healthy breakfast foods.
- Figs are highly alkaline in nature and so help in balancing the pH levels.
- Grapes help to decrease the acidity of uric acid and is beneficial for kidneys.
- Mangoes have tartaric acid, malic acid and a trace of citric acid that help to maintain the alkaline balance.
- Guavas help in flushing toxins out of the body. They also protect against Alzheimer’s disease.
Fruits Strengthen heart:
Fruits are a rich source of nutrients like potassium, vitamin C and A, calcium and iron. A healthy breakfast consisting of fruits ensures heart health and also reduces risks of stroke, type 2 diabetes
- Anthocyanins in blueberries protect against cardiovascular disease, stroke and neurodegenerative disorders of aging like Alzheimer’s disease as well as improves learning and memory.
- Flavonoids in strawberries ensure heart health.
- Grapes are a great source of folic acid.
- Apples are miracle foods filled with flavonoids, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals that lower the risk of diabetes and heart disease. This single item finds it’s place in any combination of best healthy breakfast foods.
Fruits lower LDL Cholesterol
- Fruits are loaded with antioxidant properties that help in lowering the ‘bad’ cholesterol or LDL (low density lipoprotein). It is a known fact that the Chlorogenic Acid in green coffee stops the production of LDL, yet you need to back it up with other food categories for better results.
- Flavonoids found in citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits and tangerines) reduces the ability of the arteries to form blood clots and prevents the oxidation of LDL or ‘bad’ cholesterol.
- Studies show that juice of fig leaves help to lower the level of triglycerides and are anti-diabetic in nature.6. Banishes belly bloating: The fiber in the fruit pushes out the old waste matter from the digestive tract and rids you of a bloated tummy.
- Lemons are the best friends of the belly and help to rid that bloated feeling in your tummy and aid in digestion.
- Papaya is another gut friendly food that stimulates the digestive system, helps control acidity and ensures proper bowel movement.Try including fruits like bananas, cherries, figs, pears, peaches, plums, pineapples, sapodilla and other fruits in your breakfast as all of them are loaded with nutrients and are extremely good for health. Vegetables, whole grains, seeds, nuts, low fat dairy, lean protein should also occupy space on your breakfast plate. They have been proven as best aids for easy and quick weight loss, keeping you fit and healthy for life.
Vegetables for Breakfast
Vegetables too, like fruits, are loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Each and every vegetable packs a punch which banishes all diseases. Kick starting your day with a cup of green coffee or green tea is definitely beneficial, but your body needs more antioxidants necessary for your good health. So make sure to include veggies in breakfast for added benefits.
Vegetables promote weight loss and weight management
- Vegetables are rich in dietary fiber, so they give that feeling of fullness for a longer time. They help to prevent snacking in between your meals. Make sure one portion of your breakfast plate is filled with veggies as they are excellent weight loss aids.
- Capsaicin, a chemical found in chili peppers aids in weight loss.
- Iceberg lettuce has high water content and are excellent for weight loss.
- Bottle gourds and salad greens promote hormonal balance and are known to reduce weight. They help to fight the stubborn fat that menopausal women try to lose. Weight gain due to thyroid hormonal imbalance is also taken care of.
- Mushroom may be included as it is another wonder food that helps in losing weight without exercise
Vegetables prevents chronic diseases:
- Studies show that regular consumption of vegetables helps in preventing heart diseases, type 2 diabetes and cancer of the mouth, colon and stomach. GI cancers and inflammatory diseases.
- Carrots, beetroots, sweet potatoes heal inflamed liver and provide relief from chronic hepatitis symptoms.
- Asparagus is another source of antioxidant and helps keep blood sugar under control.
- Maitake mushrooms boost heart health, lowers blood pressure.
- Beetroots are rich in folic acid, manganese, potassium, iron and vitamin B6 all of which benefit the body in multiple ways. Potassium, magnesium also found in Apple Cider Vinegar along with other nutrients are extremely beneficial to the heart.
- Munch on carrots to lower your blood pressure, cholesterol and to prevent cancer.
- Spinach is the magical food Popeye swears by. It truly is a magical food for nature seems to have loaded it with all kinds of nutrients to magically banish all your health problems. It is loaded with vitamins C and K, B1, B2, B6, carotenes, folic acid, manganese, iron, magnesium, lutein and flavonoids.
- Tomatoes, have them raw or baked or include them with other vegetables, but make sure to include them because they benefit you in multiple ways. (Tomato is technically the fruit of the plant, but it is used as a vegetable in cooking)Works as a detox: Research shows that certain vegetables help detoxify the system and help the body to fight several diseases. For example,
- Cabbage is known for its antioxidant properties and for healing gastric problems.
- Onions and garlic have microbial properties.
- Carrots have beta carotene that are powerful antioxidants.
- Betacyanin in beetroots have powerful antioxidant qualities.
- Nasunin in eggplant is an antioxidant that protects against oxidative stress.Enhances Gut Health: Being a rich source of insoluble fibers, vegetables add roughage to the intestine thereby helping in bowel movements.
- Leeks, onions, artichokes and asparagus nourish the probiotic bacteria in the gut. This improves intestinal health and nutrient absorption.
- Eggplants being very high in fiber prevent constipation, colitis and hemorrhoids.
Vegetables improves concentration and mental capacity
Vegetables, being packed with vitamins and minerals, provide all the nutrients needed for mental alertness and concentration.
- Kale is a wonder food that is rich in calcium, lutein and vitamins A,C,K,E and iron. Vitamin E enhances your memory, so make sure you include Kale in your daily diet for loads of other benefits as well.
- Beetroots contain nitrates that stimulate blood flow to the brain
- Broccoli has high levels of vitamin and choline that sharpens your memory. Include the green, leafy veggies, broccoli, sweet potato, beans, leeks, cucumbers, etc in your breakfast to get some amazing results.
Both fruits and vegetables, besides providing health benefits are also excellent for your hair and skin because they provide the necessary nutrients for their health too. It is true that workouts on the treadmill or Tabata training or swimming or any other form of exercise helps to cut that flab, but not one hundred percent unless you are cautious about what you eat, especially your breakfast at the start of the day. Make sure to include best healthy breakfast foods like whole grain, nuts, seeds, low fat dairy and lean protein in your breakfast.
Whole Grains For Having Best Healthy Breakfast Foods:
You may be beginning your day with a beverage like green tea or green coffee as is the norm these days. But don’t forget to take time out for the most important meal of the day-breakfast, by which I mean a healthy breakfast. And best healthy breakfast foods do not indicate only fruits and vegetables, but also whole grains. It is imperative to include whole grains in some form or the other in your breakfast for additional benefits.
Whole grains are grains of cereals that are unpolished containing all the parts of the kernel- the endosperm, germ and bran that contain all the health benefits in contrast to the refined grains which retain only the endosperm. The bran provides the fiber, the outer layer that supplies B vitamins, iron, copper, zinc, magnesium, antioxidants and phytochemicals which are greatly beneficial for health. The germ is the core of the seed which is rich in healthy fats, vitamin E, B vitamins, phytochemicals and antioxidants. The endosperm is the interior layer rich in carbohydrates, proteins and small amounts of some B vitamins and minerals. They are naturally low fat, cholesterol free; they contain protein, loads of fiber, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and phytochemicals. So if you really are serious about your health make sure to include whole grains like oatmeal, whole grain corn, whole wheat, whole rye, quinoa, buck wheat, bulgur (cracked wheat), millet, sorghum and brown rice in your diet. Since whole grains are not fortified with folic acid, which is the case with refined grains, you need to look for whole grains that are fortified with folic acid. Reach out for some ready-to-eat cereals like whole wheat bran flakes, oatmeal, whole wheat bread etc to add to your breakfast platter. Know best healthy breakfast foods and make time for a healthy breakfast to control obesity.
Whole grains help to control weight:
- Numerous trips to the gym and sweating it out on the elliptical or the treadmill will definitely reap benefits but supplementing it with a healthy diet will show quicker results. Studies show that people who consumed a healthy breakfast with more servings of whole grains a day like brown rice, whole oats, unhulled barley had significantly lower BMIs than those who eat less than one serving a day. Another study found that women who included more whole grains in their diets were less likely to gain weight in future. Whole grains give a feeling of fullness thereby reducing your hunger pangs. And supplements like Apple Cider Vinegar also is of great help in achieving your dream hour-glass figure. Apple Cider Vinegar interferes with the bodies’ digestion of starch, so fewer calories enter your body.
Whole grains help reduce risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease:
- They’re digested more slowly than refined grains which helps to keep level of both blood sugar and insulin down. People consuming more than grams of fiber from whole grains had 30% less chance of developing type 2 diabetes. Research from Harvard Medical School show that people who consume one serving of whole grain a day cut down on the risk of heart diseases and strokes.
Reduction of cholesterol levels consuming whole grains
Studies conducted at Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago found that adding whole grains like oats to your diet helped in cutting down cholesterol levels, especially among women, by an additional 8 or 9mg/dL after only 3 weeks. Antioxidants found in oats cut cholesterol by suppressing the molecules that make blood cells stick to artery walls. When these cells stick to the artery walls they cause inflammation and plaque deposits build up. They narrow the passage through which the blood flows leading to hardening of the arteries.
Consume whole grains to reduce cancer risks:
Several studies on various types of cancer suggest that consuming whole grains regularly reduces cancer risk. This is because they provide antioxidants preventing the formation of carcinogens and suppressing growth of cancer.
Whole grains redistribute Fat:
Consuming whole grains cuts down on the amount of body fat and leads to a healthier distribution of that fat. It also helps reduce your belly fat or ‘central adiposity’ which increases the risk of diabetes and other health issues. Belly fat also affects your posture which leads to lower back pain. Your breakfast platter should be healthy mix of best healthy breakfast foods to get the maximum nutrition at the start of the day. Make sure you do so choosing the right breakfast foods.
Nuts For Breakfast:
Go nuts over nuts because they have it all. This wonderfully delicious food is a gift from Mother Nature to us which helps us in various ways. One portion of your breakfast should contain nuts for that all round nutritional value besides fruits, vegetables, whole grains, seeds, lean protein.
Benefits of nuts
- Hungry and looking for a quick, healthy and filling snack? Keep some nuts handy because they’re the best snacks that contribute to your good health while satiating your hunger pangs. Nuts are among best healthy breakfast foods and good sources of fat, fiber and protein. Most of the fats in nuts are monounsaturated fats, and omega-6 as well as omega-3 polyunsaturated fats. However they do contain some saturated fats as well. Hence a limited intake is recommended. They are also rich in vitamins and minerals, including magnesium and vitamin E. They are easy to carry and to store. Make sure you store them in the fridge or the freezer section at home because they turn rancid after a while. You may pick out any nut that you like, and when I say nuts I mean the tree nuts not peanuts. Nuts that grow on the trees are healthy snack options. Peanuts are actually legumes that grow underground and are not recommended as snack options.
NUTS THAT BENEFIT YOU:
- Macadamia Nuts contain high amounts of vitamin B1, magnesium and manganese. They have the highest fat and the lowest protein and carb content. About 60% of the fat in these nuts is the monounsaturated fat also found in olives, which are very good for health. Most of the benefits of Macadamia nuts are related to heart health. Studies show that these nuts also help to lower both total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. They also reduce the oxidative stress and inflammation, making them one of the best foods for your heart.
- Walnuts are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acid, alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), along with high amounts of copper, manganese, molybdenum and biotin. They are also known to contain the amino acid l-arginine that has lot of benefits for people with heart ailments or those who have multiple cardiac risk factors. The antioxidants of these nuts are highly effective in containing the free radicals. The polyphenol content helps prevent liver damage that is chemically induced. They also help to prevent prostrate and breast cancer. Eating walnuts increases a measure of cognition known as ‘inferential reasoning’ which means they are good for the brain too. The skin of walnut, though has a bitter flavour, contains upto 90% of the antioxidants of the nuts making it the healthiest part of the walnut.Almonds help to improve cholesterol levels.
- Studies have found that eating almonds can reduce the LDL cholesterol. They also help to lose weight and lower blood pressure. Almonds help to control blood sugar and reduce inflammation in type 2 diabetics. They are also a rich source of calcium. Eat them with their skins as the skins are full of flavonoids. Almonds are high in vitamin E which improves appearance of your skin.
- Pistachios are filled with fiber and improve cholesterol level, especially the HDL or ‘good’ cholesterol. Pistachios are rich in vitamin B6 which ensure hormonal balance. They contain reasonable levels of lutein and zeaxanthin, antioxidants that help to protect the eyes. They benefit the heart, and are effective in maintaining blood pressure levels and weight.
- Cashews contain protein and are useful sources of minerals like iron and zinc. They also contain magnesium which is known to delay age- related memory loss. They improve blood pressure in people with metabolic syndrome.
- Pecans are usually used in desserts. They contain polyphenols which are antioxidants that prevent plaque formation and hardening of the arteries. Pecans are packed with sterols that lower cholesterol levels. They are rich in oleic acid which is the healthy fat also found in olives and avocado.
- Hazelnuts are heart friendly nuts as they help to reduce total cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides. They contain folate which keeps the homocysteine levels normal. They also improve blood vessel function and increase the vitamin E levels in the body.
- Brazil nuts are a rich source of selenium which act as antioxidants. Selenium is used for producing thyroid hormones and for healing wounds. It also supports immunity and is used for a number of functions in the body.These nuts also lower cholesterol level, improve function of blood vessels in overweight teenagers and reduce inflammation.
- Chestnuts have the lowest fat and calorie content. They are rich in starchy carbs and fiber, a good source of vitamin C in their raw form. Ground chestnut flour can be used as a gluten-free flour for cakes and bakes.
If you are an athlete, post training recovery is very important. Even after rigorous workout sessions in the gym doing cardio or weight training, your body needs to replenish itself. Feeling stiff and sore for days after training may reduce your ability to go through that rigorous training again and again. Recovery techniques like foam rolling and stretching are important, but post-workout nutrition makes a bigger difference. Grab a handful of almonds and other dried fruits like raisins to replenish muscle glycogen after a hectic workout session. Kale is another excellent post exercise recovery food that reduces inflammation caused during workouts.Protein powder that is plant based is also good for recovery post workout sessions.